In August 2015, the CCNY Robotics club decided to participate in the 120 lb-weight combat robot tournament at Robogames. In their words, Robogames is the "Olympics of Robots". Their combat robotics league is somewhat similar to Battlebots.
I took charge of the project and ended up doing most of the mechanical design in Solidworks.
The electrical design was a joint effort with some of the electrical engineering students in the club. The weapon motor draws up to 340 amps and we needed it to decelerate quickly - so instead of using a motor controller, we decided on a starter solenoid which would give us dynamic breaking capabilities.
By the time the club had received funding, Robogames 2016 was over. Nevertheless, we ordered the parts and got started. The long wait was over.
The build started in the last week of April - until we put everything on hold for finals month. Once summer break began, however, we got back to work.